Building Armory from Git

What is the procedure for building armory, if I want to test things out between build releases? I ask because I wish to help catch bugs so that fewer of them make it into the build releases.

I do not know how to build it from source. I may be mistaken, but I believe the source available on GitHub is just the SDK, not the addon. The distributed builds are just a pre-built installation of Blender, bundled with the SDK & the add-on. In order to get the latest version of the SDK (between builds) you can follow this guide on using git version.
It should be noted that using git-version will not give you all the latest features in development like the new player coming in Build 3, as that’s part of the add-on.

All of that assumes you’ve already purchased armory from here to gain access to the add-on which is necessary for Armory to work properly. If you haven’t and you’re trying to get Armory without purchasing it, I must strongly recommend you purchase it to support @lubos & his efforts, or wait until the full release.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

If you are on linux (Ubuntu), and you want to try, I made a shell script that installs all the dependencies, and builds it. Weather it works or not is highly dependent on changes to ArmorPaint, as well as your particular system, but it works for me as of 2019: 06,21, and it could potentially save you a lot of time if you want to try to build it anyway.

(You can even install linux just to try armor paint, I have certainly done it for other software since it’s free :wink: ) Although I wouldn’t suggest it if you’ve never done it before.

I wonder if it would be possible to use this on windows to build it the same way?