Does Armory provide a one click solution to Android deployment for rapid testing?

In Adobe AIR’s Animate, to deploy to Android, you click File->Publish to Android, Done.

In Coppercube, with Android SDK Installed, you click file->Publish to Android, Done.

In Armory, is that as simple ?

I’m not positive how easy it is just yet, but it looks like it will get very easy pretty soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, as of Armory 0.5 one has to manually build the project in Android Studio which is not that nice.

Will finish the Android + Krom port in 0.6, it’s wip at:

4 Likes

Hello @Lubos, thank you for your answer and thank you @zicklag too !

So it looks like temporarily, even basic export to android is a road block.

What about at least HTML 5 export ?
Is it a one click export like all the other platforms too ?
And do you have to host the HTML5 on a server for the exported version to run or it will run locally ?

Does the code for mouse down/up/move automatically work for touch [for Android] as well or you have to separately code for that as well ?

HTML5 export is one-click. You can also export to HTML5 for development just by switching the Runtime dropdown to Browser:

You can simply open up the index.html file in a browser to run the HTML5 exported version of the game.

You probably already know this, but you can find all of the export options are in the Armory Exporter panel:

2 Likes

Just to clarify the Android export should work but the .apk needs to be deployed using the Android Studio, where the final .apk signing/certificates are also managed.

There is no need for separate mouse / touch code. :mouse2:

2 Likes

Thank you @lubos.

What a relief to know that code for mouse will auto translate to touch.

Installing the entire android studio 758MB [just the installer alone] and the JDK [212 MB], almost as terrible as the cordova’s way.

I am still using cordova every now and then with some apps with all the delicious:
keytool -genkey -v -keystore ~.keystore -alias ~ -keyalg RSA -keysize 2048 -validity 10000
-verbose -sigalg SHA1withRSA -digestalg SHA1 -keystore ~.keystore app-release-d.apk ~
-v 4 app-release-.apk Final.apk

I absolutely dislike every moment of it, that’s why softwares like coppercube and adobe air amazes me with their one click export, all they need is a p12 file.
Export shouldn’t have to be so much drama, coppercube and adobe air proves it can be done in one click.

I wonder if armory could ever take that elegant route.

Is this likely to be ready for the final release of 0.6 or if not, is it on the roadmap for a specific future release?

One thing to keep in mind is “how Haxe works.” For some platforms (e.g. Flash, NME), it generates byte-code directly for the corresponding run-time interpreter. For some, it generates source-code (e.g. JavaScript, WebAssembly) that can be directly run. But for others – iOS, Android – Haxe generates source-code that is then processed by the native development tools for that environment … and all such tools are different. The native tools, not Haxe, handle pushes to target hardware and so on.

Yes, the process has been made as seamless and inconspicuous as possible (not just for Armory but for all Haxe users), but it is still there.

Pragmatically speaking, you should do as much development as you can without constantly pushing to a platform device. (Then, when you start to get close, vendor-provided “simulators” are usually pretty accurate.) You can usually get a very accurate visualization of what your game is going to look like, without constantly having to push it to a tablet or a phone. The time savings add up quickly.

@MikeRobinson In this case we are talking about the ability to run Krom on Android for instant build times and ultra easy deployment of the game to Android. Krom is an environment for Javascript that has bindings to the native Graphics APIs that runs on desktops and ( soon ) Anroid. Kha exports the Armory game for Krom and you can then run it on your android device with almost no build time.

Yes, I actually understood that. Thanks for the clarification.

And as it’s been mentioned… please please don’t use the iOS simulator. It’s just not made for games, Kha’s macOS target is a much better iOS simulator than the actual iOS simulator.
Also keep in mind, Kha’s build tools are completely different compared to the regular Haxe build tools and in general favor native IDE integration and easy debugging instead of seamlessness.

2 Likes