Future of armory?

Yeah, you are right. I think funding will increase when Armory reaches a stable state. When people realize that there is an open source and free alternative to Unity and Unreal right inside blender, they would gladly contribute instead of paying for subscriptions or royalty.

I let my subscription lapse due to how little communication there is. It really wouldn’t kill lubos to spend 10 minutes once a week to write up a short report. Not being talkative is not a valid excuse.

4 Likes

Oh boy, the comments in here indeed are a valid excuse for avoiding communication though.

How so?
The only thing I see here is people concerned about the future of the engine…

Well, maybe you’ll need to get your own open source project running to understand that. For me this forum is becoming an energy drain, not sure I can continue being around here either.

@RobDangerous, please stay around if you dare, your insights are very interesting ! :slight_smile:

I am still amazed by Lubos’ constant work day after day, and his vision still seems very relevant.

From my POV :

• pull requests are coming (30 contributors)
  • and rovacado contributed a nice new website, so the constructive community exists
  • AmoryPaint could seem to “drain dev power” from Armory, but dogfooding seems a nice practice to improve and stress-test the engine - the great performance gains for ArmoryPaint benefit to all Amory projects - and It also bring attention to the engine to different profiles and bring funding to Lubos.

On the practical side, using Armory was a very nice experience : installation was straightforward, the documentation and examples were very helpful for such a young project. For humble projects, the engine’s Present is already great, no Future :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m glad that Armory is based on Blender, Haxe, and Kha, very powerfull and pragmatic technologies. Rust seems like a powerful tool. In my uninformed POV, biaised as a Haxe user, eventual performance issues should be solved for Haxe, as evolutions, contributions, or Rust target if needed.

Seriously, if your project is not working like you want, maybe try to re-evaluate what tools you choose to use, their maturity level, or try to work on it as much as Lubos on Armory. I don’t think the blame can be put on his shoulders. I find some attitudes pretty rude to be honest.

Free software needs contributions from all sides. Make a screen capture for documentation, polish an example, submit or reproduce a bug report with a minimal example… everything takes time.

My main criticism regarding Armory management would be the lack of soundtrack on latest videos :wink:

3 Likes

Are people expecting Armory to be a commercial venture? It’s not. At every level – Armory, Iron, Kha, even Haxe itself – a small number of developers are working very hard. But they didn’t sign a support contract with you.

I don’t think Blender is a commercial venture either, but that didn’t stop them from amassing 42k in funds, which helps a lot to speed up development, just saying…

The Blender Institute does publish weekly reports though. This shows the world that stuff is getting done, and that’s very important.

Currently I don’t consider Armory mature or stable or battle-tested enough to base anything of my own on it, so I also don’t keep track of the commit logs. From that perspective it looks like the project is dead, with no activity since 0.5. I know this isn’t true, but it looks that way.

So color me unsurprised when you see people leaving.

6 Likes

Armory is my favourite thing at the minute. I’d be happy to pay towards a Patreon if it was set up again.

1 Like

hello guys,

However, if DICE is planning to massive rework the Armory, I think there is still potential way to make the Armory a usable way instand of just going there to get your shipment (items you unlocked).

1. Make epic items obtainable with CC but with high price with it (I would say around 90,000 CC since the new ranks update will make CC obtainable much more easier). This way, you can still obtain epic items and even if you can’t obtain the epic item you wanted to buy because of how it grindy it is, then just buy boins to get your epic item.
  2. Instand of making it a week to refresh the Armory, make it a day. Making it into a week is such painful to wait and seeing how much money DICE would get if they refresh the armory would be great since Fortnite does it very well.
  3. Rework the UI. As right now, the Armory UI is such lacking the basics. You can’t even 360° the weapon skin since it’s pretty much stuck there or that the character is always a female yet you wanted to see it as a male version, make that as a option.

DICE, please rework the Armory and the in-game economy in the future because in the future, I’m pretty sure you won’t see anybody paying up Boins if we keep the armory where we at and knowing that you guys are working on the next Battlefield, I can only fear that the next BF will have boins as well).

thanks and regards

Armory is game engine .

1 Like

For a second I thought DICE was going to buy Armory, that made me panic and workup at same time. @namangarg Buddy, you got the wrong forums.

1 Like

“Do not look a gift horse in the mouth.”

Everyone is grateful for Godot.

hello,

thanks for sharing this informationn this is really helpfull for me thanks again

thanks and regards