I have some questions about releases

It used to be there were separate builds for blender 2.79 and 2.8 but I haven’t been here for a while and now see, that you can only download Armory_05b_[platform]_b27.[ext] or Armory_06beta_[platform].[ext]

Secondly I want to inquire, is the blender 2.8 version usable? I’m sort of in between here. 2.79 will soon be replaced with 2.8. Since I don’t know much about these and am sort of starting from scratch I’m wondering if I should just use armory that works with 2.8. Even if 2.8 is buggy maybe by release I will have learned a good portion of it, since then I don’t have to relearn everything. But even if that’s the case with Blender, it may not be the case with armory itself. So could anyone give me any information, so I make a wiser decision? Armory with 2.79 or armory with 2.8 (which presumably is armory 0.6)?

My game is probably going to take several years, so it’s not going to be as much of a problem if it’s a bit buggy at first. It’s more of whether I should invest the time to learn 2.79.

Thanks for any advice.

At this point I would go with Armory 0.6 Beta with Blender 2.8. Armory 0.6 is getting very close to release and most of its glaring bugs have been taken care of. There are some bugs with Blender 2.8, but it is usable and I have been using it for starting my game project. You should be good. :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks very much. You’re the first person that recommended 2.8, will wait a few more days to see if I get any more replies.

Thanks again.

1 Like

I agree with everything @zicklag said. Yes, there are some bugs with both Blender 2.8 and Armory 0.6 beta, however it means that you’re learning the modern interface rather than one that’s about to become deprecated and you’re also getting significantly better performance than 0.5.

Bugs are also something you can report, potentially get fixed and help the entire community with. Old interfaces in Blender 2.7 and slower performance that’s already been fixed in later versions… well, you can’t really do much there.

Besides, game projects tend to take enough time that if there’s ever a really major blocking bug, then chances are you’ll have plenty of other stuff to work on long enough to see it fixed.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply too Armored_Blob

It’s kind of what I was thinking.

1 Like