New Unity promises pretty impressive features, need to keep up

32 min, the graphics and workflow = wowzaaaa. I hate Unity, but if they can deliver these promises (also ones about performance), this a big game changer.

Wonder what they use for GI. There are not much docs about upcoming version.

I see, that ‘Light Probes’

The thing is, Armory already is comparable to Unity, which is why Unity should be ashamed of themselves. Armory is built ontop of free open-source technology accesible to anyone by mostly one person, while they have whole professional teams with the funding to built their own foundations and cannot get greatly better results.
Just look at Unitys current GI, it is a bad joke. Cycles baking looks better and is probably also faster. Not to mention realtime GI, which is non-existant in Unity without use of the Assets store. From skipping through this talk I think that the new GI uses baked raytraced GI with AI denoising, which is running on stage even with that propably massive PC they used for it pretty slow.
Also I am totaly not a fan of it’s UI, and while Armory’s current one is currently not great as well, it is built on top of Blender so it is easily customisable by the user. I also do not suspect Unity to change its interface since it has hardly changed since Unity 4 (2013).
The things that Armory currently lacks are documentation, features, usability stuff and being know in the CG/Gameengine society (becoming free would help greatly), and all of these problems are being worked on. Btw, Armory already has a scriptable render pipeline (I think, it once even was customizable with nodes) and easily adjustable render paths for different platforms (whose exports are superior to Unity’s), which Unity praises as great new features in their software.

I want to end with saying that Armory curently can not compete with the giants like Unity and Unreal, but once it can it will destroy them (maybe not so quick with Unreal and only if the donation money doesn’t get stolen by the eevee game engine).

I hope we can make that nice Vegetation in Armory soon. While working on Sponza, that was an disappointing point. And yeah, performance. I would be extreme fan of light Probes, so I can deliver kind of GI effect to weaker gear.

The light probes will come once we jump to b2.8 as there is a proper interface for that thanks to eevee. Don’t want to hack it in b2.79. But transparency should be getting fixed…

Great! P.S. when you have time check out Git issues. I have added some details as you asked.

I agree with Simonrazer. Unity and Unreal swim in money and don’t seem to be able to do much more than one person!? Once Armory gets stable I’m sure it will be the equivalent of what blender is to the other DCC software.

Every game that I have played and was made with Unity is awful in terms of performance and stability. Firewatch, AC, Dreamfall Chapters, etc. There are lot of Articles, that it’s developers fault being lazy in optimizations, but I think (also from my personal exp.) that is only half of the story. Always got that feeling that they are new Feature freaks, and don’t care about stability. I mean they support almost every Possible VR device, but lack Must Be Basics, to produce a world title game. So it’s kind a sandbox, still :smiley:

But honestly I don’t care about past. If they start to move they lazy asses in right directions, I will keep my mind open.

In mean time, I hope Armory get’s those periods, where it’s boring, with no Shiny news about new features, but in that time it undergoes serious refactoring and optimizations under the hood :P. And some more core devs to speedup things, would be Fantastic (maybe not the right time yet).

@rogper, @Simonrazer and never forget that Armory uses Kha framework under the hood. So it’s definitely 2 person thing, not one. Robert does’s magic with Kha and without that Armory would no be the same :stuck_out_tongue: