Should I abandon UE4 for Armory?

I began using UE4 two months ago, first time going deep in more 3D work than basic modelling. The learning curve and unexpected shit in UE4 has been quite the headache.
Right now, I want to make a very simple FPS and UE itself is a massive load on a midrange computer.
Is Armory as light as Blender to run?
And how about the community, is it active?
The idea of skipping the model import part is very attractive. But most importantly, can an average dumbass get Armory up and running, without spending days on install and run errors, like that Lumberyard pest?
With all the amazing stuff available for Blender already, Armory feels like a well covered ground in tutorials and prototyping assets for free.

Learning curve is really less compared to other engine, assets prototyping is really fast and you can program gameplay quickly with Logic Nodes(if you aren’t comfortable with programming languages)

The only problem with learning is that documentation is low, so you will have to scratch your head

Yes armory is really light, and can work on large range of hardware.

Hell yeah! Community is really active, we have discord too!

Yes, it is really easy, here the setup documentation

Yeah, prototyping assets is really fast in Armory

4 Likes

If you’re serious about game development, such as creating a game and selling it, then using Unity, Unreal, Godot or any other engine is best for you.

If you’re interested in prototyping a game and not leaving Blender, use Armory. It’s not even beta ready, the development is slow, and it can’t hold up to other engines out there yet.

Having said that, it has promise if it got the same attention, funding and help as other engines, including ArmorPaint, which is the bread and butter app and receives a lot more attention from the main developer.

It’s fun to play around in, but I wouldn’t try to make a serious, full-time project in it just yet.

4 Likes

Yep, good answers by both @BlackGoku36 and @boogabelly. The short answer is no, you probably shouldn’t abandon any more stable engine for Armory just yet because of its instability, but if you want to try out an up-and-coming engine that with a lot of potential, then Armory would be great to try.

Armory is extremely lightweight and it is really easy as long as you don’t run into any bugs. The documentation is still very work-in-progress, but we’ve got a helpful community here on the forum if you have any trouble.

3 Likes

I think that you should expect “a learning curve” with any engine. But I’ll dissent with the other opinions and predict that Armory will very soon be recognized as “the new winner” because it is open-source and truly cross-platform. Yes, today it is still under very active development, but I think that the handwriting is on the wall for proprietary engines like UE. I think that Armory is or soon will be something that these engines must give answer to.

Now, I personally think that you can’t realistically expect to use any engine without getting your hands dirty with actual programming, but the Haxe platform – which is applicable to much, much more than “games” – is (IMHO) “a revolution itself.” I think it’s brilliant that Armory can work with Blender-made assets very directly, instead of requiring you to map things into the context of an incompatible engine.

I’d therefore suggest that you continue to explore UE, but also that you learn Armory at the same time. In time you can decide what works best for your project.

3 Likes

Thank you all for these good replies.
Hearing it might be a challenge, actually makes it more interesting to get it done in Armory.
Unreal is about to have a modelling upgrade and I think their plan is for their editor to be enough for most modelling.
I can understand the pressure on getting Armory paint up to 100% first, there should be way more people in the world needing that, than a games engine, right?
Either way, this all looks great so far.

1 Like

What is with the shader editor. I tried many effects but the editor hasn’t all necessary nodes. Will be there more updates for shader editor?