Unable to manually install Armory SDK in Blender 2.8

I am trying to manually install the Armory SDK in a newer version (that the one that Armory 0.6 is coming with) of Blender 2.8. However. Here’s the steps I follow to do this; these steps worked for Blender 2.7 but do not work for 2.8 for some reason:

1- copy Armory sdk into Blender’s directory
2- Execute the following commands in Blender’s Python console:

bpy.ops.preferences.addon_install(filepath='armsdk/armory/blender/addon/armory.py')
bpy.ops.preferences.addon_enable(module='armory')
user_prefs = bpy.context.preferences
addon_prefs = user_prefs.addons['armory'].preferences
addon_prefs.sdk_path = 'armsdk'
bpy.ops.arm_addon.start() #this throws and error

After executing the last command I get the following errors:

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/amir/.config/blender/2.80/scripts/addons/armory.py", line 205, in execute
    start.register(local_sdk=local_sdk)
  File "/home/amir/Desktop/armory/blender-2.80/armsdk//armory/blender/start.py", line 22, in register
    arm.props_traits_props.register()
  File "/home/amir/Desktop/armory/blender-2.80/armsdk//armory/blender/arm/props_traits_props.py", line 36, in register
    bpy.utils.register_class(ArmTraitPropList)
RuntimeError: Error: 'ArmTraitPropList' doesn't contain '_UL_' with prefix & suffix

location: /home/amir/Desktop/armory/blender-2.80/2.80/scripts/modules/bpy/ops.py:200

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<blender_console>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/home/amir/Desktop/armory/blender-2.80/2.80/scripts/modules/bpy/ops.py", line 200, in __call__
    ret = op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)
RuntimeError: Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/amir/.config/blender/2.80/scripts/addons/armory.py", line 205, in execute
    start.register(local_sdk=local_sdk)
  File "/home/amir/Desktop/armory/blender-2.80/armsdk//armory/blender/start.py", line 22, in register
    arm.props_traits_props.register()
  File "/home/amir/Desktop/armory/blender-2.80/armsdk//armory/blender/arm/props_traits_props.py", line 36, in register
    bpy.utils.register_class(ArmTraitPropList)
RuntimeError: Error: 'ArmTraitPropList' doesn't contain '_UL_' with prefix & suffix

location: /home/amir/Desktop/armory/blender-2.80/2.80/scripts/modules/bpy/ops.py:200

Can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong? @lubos @zicklag

@lubos @zicklag I wonder if the SDK has some dependencies on the version of Blender that comes with it?

I’m compiling the master version of Blender right now so I can test it. I’ll let you know what happens. It is currently working with blender@d505592ffda3, but I just pulled blender@6e3331990f and have yet to test it.

There shouldn’t be anything special about the version of Blender that comes with Armory right now, but the latest version of Blender 2.8 may have changed something in their Python API.

Thank you. Let me know if that works for you. Just to make sure, are the steps I followed correct?

I haven’t actually ever installed the plugin with a Python script before because I just do it through the UI, but everything looks sound, and the error message doesn’t seem to suggest that the problem has to do with the way you installed it. It test it out when the build is finished.

It just finished and it appears that it is broken with similar error messages and some additional ones for different panels. It isn’t your fault! :smile:

You can open an issue on GitHub for it. If I end up with time I might look into it, but I’ve been a bit busy so no promises. :slight_smile:

@zicklag Posted an issue:

2 Likes

@lubos Any updates on this?

Will post asap on your github issue once patch is ready. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Warrior @lubos There ya go https://github.com/armory3d/armory/pull/1236 Enjoy! :confetti_ball:

3 Likes

Awesome! @blackgoku36 :tada: :smiley: :+1:

3 Likes