Explanations for all the script functions and codes?

I would like a documentation on the Armory3D scripting language that shows explanations and short example codes on all the functions of the scripting language, Haxe I think it is called.
The available documentation that comes with the engine does not have any explanations or examples for the functions.

You can learn Haxe first , there must be tutorials if you do a google search. For Armory 3D you learn from the small examples, they are not very complicated.
Try to make something and ask questions when you don’t understand.

1 Like

FYI, the Haxe language is thoroughly covered at https://haxe.org.

(Fair warning: it’s big. Haxe is not-at-all limited to “computer graphics,” nor to Armory. It is a full-on programming language, not just a “scripting language.” In fact, it’s not a “scripting” language at all!)

It’s also useful to note that your “visual logic nodes” become Haxe code which you can then examine in the editor. So you don’t pay a performance penalty for using them, and they offer you a very easy way to crank out ready-made examples of source code that “does interesting stuff.” If you’re interested in writing source-code yourself, this is an appropriate place to begin to learn “how Armory thinks.”

Source-code to the entire thing including the various sub-layers of software (Iron, etc.) can be found at: https://github.com/armory3d

You can get a glimpse of the size and diversity of Haxe’s “package library” (haxelib) at https://lib.haxe.org. (Yes, Armory, Iron, Kha, and so-on are simply, “packages.” One among many hundreds.)

Most “things” are obvious to someone who understands…
This is the greatest obstacle in learning how to code. Programmers who “understand” can’t relate to someone who doesn’t “know” what is Visual Studio, as another piece of software that needs to be learned by someone who never heard about the terminal or console. The “teachers” have the tendency to either endlessly beat the “Hello World” (trace or print) function, then go straight to syntax of writing a “poem”, “essay”, or “resume” without explaining what is a “verb” or a “noun”. Same is true with learning haxe’s nouns and verbs without explaining that application “functionality” actually comes from the “import” from Iron, Kha, and JavaScript. While a “newbie” wants to know why there is a “.” period in “context.object.data…”, the “teachers” jumped already to loops and arrays. Artists or people who wish to achieve “functionality” to a simple application, not necessarily code professionally as a game developer, they are goal oriented and are perfectly happy with “cut & paste coding” as long as they can achieve their goal. This is why Armory “nodes” are so enticing to Blender users. Although, I believe that Tattorn’s sentiment in this post was to express the desire in learning “how and why” given code “works” in Armory. He won’t learn from Haxe why we import.iron.data.SceneFormat; rather than something else.

3 Likes

I think the logic nodes are much better for beginners to learn first becuase you can do almost everything with them and it is much less intimidating that writing code. Also it alaws you to see exactly what it available but haxe script need you to know what you want and what is available.
However for a total beginner to the world of game dev, even logic nodes can be intimidating… This is Y I started the tutroail series to help kick start new users.

4 Likes