Is only using Node Logic for games like Blockade good?

I’ve been watched a lot of programming tutorials but I felt that my brain doesn’t want to understand those tutorials, so I said let me stick with Node Logic to make games like Blockade, but I’m not sure if only using Node Logic is able/good to make games like Blockade.

1 Like

Logic nodes are a form of visual programming. In effect, each node corresponds to a built-in Haxe subroutine, and the high-level logic within Armory “runs through” the node network (or, “noodle”) at the appropriate times. You can do a lot with nodes and I think that it’s a great place to start if you are not a “source-code junkie” (like me). I’m sure that you could build a Breakout game.

Start by closely examining the existing demo games such as “tank” and “bowling,” as well as others that you will find on source-code repositories such as GitHub and SourceForge. “You can learn a lot by watching …” These are complete games that actually run. It is far more efficient to learn this way: take it apart and see what makes it tick. Then, try to change it in some small way.

The whole design of Armory is built around the simple idea that most games more-or-less have to do the same things, have the same basic high-level logic that runs the game, and (like Blender itself) can be programmed visually in most cases.

One area where you probably can’t completely avoid source-code is what Armory calls “traits.” But, once again, look for examples that are already out there, study them and more-or-less try to copy them.

When you’re trying to learn programming, remember that it’s a world of if…then. You need to (by study of existing examples) come to understand how game logic is expressed in this way, and then how your game logic would need to flow. I start most designs with a number-two pencil and a loose leaf notebook, working it all out conceptually so that it is all very clear in my head before turning my attention to the particular programming system that I am going to use. (Full disclosure: I’ve been programming professionally for over thirty years. But my very first program was eight lines long, took me six months to write, and had a bug in it.)

3 Likes