ArmorPaint QOL Improvement Suggestions

Bought ArmorPaint standalone last week and I’m pretty impressed with the potential it has, as well as what it can already do. After using it for a few hours I have some QOL/feature suggestions. I didn’t want to muddle up the github page with a giant post, so I’ll put it here:

1. Brush Improvements

• Brush alphas (as in Substance Painter)
  • Brush angle
  • ‘Project’ paint mode should have the ability to project the brush along a Mesh’s normals
  • Ability to save brush settings as presets (and have a library of brushes)
  • Ability to save the above mentioned brush presets to the ArmorPaint startup file
  • Ability to save Paint Maps selections as part of a brush preset

2. Layer Improvements

• Ability to rename layers
  • Ability to move layers up or down in the stack
  • Ability to group layers into folders, and expand/collapse folders accordingly

3. Material Improvements

• Ability to save Materials to the ArmorPaint startup file (Material presets)

4. UI Improvements

• Ability to open the Node Editor and 2D View at the same time
  • Directory ‘favorites’ in file browsing (I/O); on a side note, on my Windows x64 standalone version I cannot highlight and delete a string in the file browsing window. Nor can I hold down backspace to delete a string rapidly. I have to manually press backspace for each character.

5. Object Improvements

• Ability to select specific faces on a mesh for painting

6. System Improvements

• Ability to save app configurations / settings to the ArmorPaint startup file (ie: texture export format)

Either way, I’m looking forward to seeing where ArmorPaint goes in the future!

8 Likes

Thanks for taking the time on putting the list together, this is an extremely helpful post. I have added a link to the issue tracker just to keep it handy. I strive to resolve all of these, first batch of fixes soon in upcoming build. :slight_smile:

6 Likes