Armory Engine Mascot?

Starting the week after next week I’ll finally have a bit of time. As for a splash screen, I would suggest having it be easy to render in real time. After all, people are going to have different resolutions and refresh rates. Why not take advantage of that? It is not only really cool to have but also futureproofs games in some respects as games that are even a few years old tend to have strange aspect ratios and low resolutions for their splash screens. If you make it real time ready, it’ll need to also consume few resources on startup and allow any game that it is proceeding to load behind the scene with few resources dedicated to the actual displaying of the splash screen. Ultimately, Armory is VERY incomplete but one of the areas where it is more than ready is in its graphical capabilities. Make an animation, test to make sure it can play at a reasonable rate from an average budget machine and find out how to implement it as a splash screen on the programming side of things later.

1 Like

For a realtime-rendered logo animation, we could use an overlayed scene where the animation is located. But you have to keep in mind that the light source is predefined. If we play the logo directly in the game environment itself in front of the camera and the game takes place in a dark scenario, the logo will be very dark by reflecting less light than necessary. On the one hand this can be very cool (to have a more interactive splash screen depending on your level or time), but on the other hand you probably want always the same light/reflection source everytime the logo appears, then I would go “add overlayed scene”. You also need to consider if it is not an overlayed scene, but a direct animation in the actual game, the animation can interrupt the game by hitting an object accidentally, etc. The animation object must be physically invisible. Finally there should be some sort of “End Object” command by choosing this method.

In addition I came up with some optimization of the real-time look. The design approximation is twodimensional, but in the end it needs to be 3D. So there should be some depth to it but the camera is always facing from a fixed view to the logo. Now – if I move the mouse cursor slightly to the right, the object starts to rotate in the same direction to face the cursor, but the proportion should be 1:10 or something. That the optical rotation of the logo is minimal to the distance of mouse motion. I think this could be a nice effect. Maybe we can use the same functions of mouse-look camera alignment, but instead of the camera we use the logo to calibrate.

The 3D elaboration itself can be a rigged pose to pose animation.

Star Wars’ BB8 game via UE4 by Seven Community (2016)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqgEJwrEksY&t=173s

Sorry for the bad alpha channel (transparent) quality. The font was just a snipped image. And I had to compress the file size of the video for gif transfer in this chat.

Do these thoughts overlap with your ideas?

I actually prefer the current Armory logo, but that’s totally personal preference.

The problem with intro animations in general is that when people see games with that intro they know with which engine it is made, and if the game is bad they will judge the engine for it. That happened to Unity.
But Armory might be in even greater trouble because it will not just be 100% free, but also its user-interface will be familiar to a lot of people. This attracts lots of newcomers to gamemaking, who will show of their first “unperfect” tries to make a game, and those relatively bad tries will be associated with Armory being a bad engine.

For now I would not enable such an intro for games, but later when the engine becomes betterknown, maybe.

1 Like

Simonrazer - Ja das ist ein sehr interessanter und nicht zu unterschätzender Grund. Du hattest glaube ich auch ein Video zur Problematik der Voxel GI gemacht. Würde Jemand jetzt ein Spiel veröffentlichen mit intro-branding, ohne das alle Kinderkrankheiten im Quellcode behoben sind wäre das fatal, obwohl der Engine mehr als nur Potenzial hat. Die Logo-Animation sollte eher als Hommage gedacht sein.

Später könnte man evtl eine Cloud einrichten, wo viele Pro-Logos und Animationen zu finden sind. Die würde man dann nur mittels Plug-and-Play und Code einfügen. Das könnte ein geeigneter Kompromiss sein, oder? Was würdest du davon halten? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please type in English for all of us to understand. if you don’t know English, google translate.

1 Like

Sure I’m sorry sans-iccal.

I translate it. I mentioned that Simonrazer’s arguments about the misuse of a professional Armory-intro in games made by less experienced game developers can refelect badly on the Armory engine itself have to be considered. I think this should not be ignored, due to the fact that the intro was designed as an homage to the engine and not as a burning mark for a still not production ready game engine. Simonrazer did a video about the problems of Voxel GI, as an example.
I bring up the point that it can be fatal, if someone publish their own game with such sourcecode problems and an armory branding in the center of the screen, despite the game engine can be one of the best ever - when it’s ready, in my opinion.

Therefore. To prevent the engine from missconception, I suggest some sort of cloud (later on - if game engine is official released) - were users or teams can upload their logos and animation for everybody here. Via plug-and-play plus code you can insert any animation, you want. Maybe we can do some competition with ranking, etc.

Would this be a suitable compromise to you? Let me know what you think :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is a cool idea! So there is a standard Armory-animation, in front of which everyone can slap their own studiologoanimation.

1 Like

Yup. In fact, starting tomorrow or the day after, I’ll actually have some time to return to creative stuff.

1 Like

While I don’t like Jim, I must agree with his point on this one, at least in regards to the splash screen.Yes, making it mandatory would be a bad idea. It should be completely voluntary. Also, I was making a black smith’s tool stand when I realized early on that the shape of the structure accommodates the logo above. Here is some very early screenshots on that one:

2 Likes

This is going to be really cool! :heart_eyes:

I have a better idea. Earlier,I thought of a concept in which two standard swords and a katana gather to form the Armory logo. If you overlay the three swords on top of the Armory3D logo,they’ll fit.

1 Like

I still think a logo that would be based on the blender logo would be better. Something like this:

Maybe also adding an animation of putting the metal on the blender logo and lighting up that blue thing as part of a logo animation?
I know the logo looks very bad, I’m still working on it, but I like the concept better.
You know- that metal stuff (that looks like it was made in photoshop alone) is like armor.

Maybe the logo animation/splash screen will be putting the metal things on the blender logo and the blue circle lighting up at the end?

1 Like

Cool some sort of Transformers and Iron man meet Google Chrome? I like this idea too. I think sound effects are really important with this design, aren’t they? I’m excited to admire your final result. :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Anybody have good metal textures I could use? The metal library on poliigon isn’t the best.

Heya, everyone! I have made a logo animation I think y’all would love, but my computer’s down, so one of you will have to render it for yourselves.
Armor.blend (903.4 KB)

1 Like

https://www.google.nl/search?q=resident+evil+4+merchant&client=safari&rls=en&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi80rKO1fDZAhVpKMAKHZ2TAGYQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=1019#imgrc=coqdDss8aKdNHM:

I was thinking along the same lines. Above link shows the Merchant from Resident Evil 4.
He can then actually have props for you. Via a dialog or something. Users can add their own.

Would be cool

should be a night in shining armor! I mean that’s obvious? or many mecha? definately not the monkey that’s ‘too’ blender :crazy_face: even though we all love blender blablabla…:laughing:

Just my opinion but…
1/ Nothing makes a program appear more of a joke than a nauseatingly cute Pixar/Disney-esque character. Please don’t.

2/ I personally have no negative feelings about Unity or playing a game with the Unity Logo… maybe it’s because I love small indie games. If Armory could reach the status of Unity as the default software for new devs, and/or Indies devs… it would be a HUGE achievement. Don’t knock it.

:slight_smile:

1 Like