Armory or UPBGE?

DAAAANG!
That’s sooo coool man!

Aaaand it adds frequent"er" updates too.

Can UPBGE do consoles? That is one other thing I love about Armory.

I think he asked for PC.

In fact, I decide to use Corona SDK for now )). It is a 2D multiplatform game engine (windows, android, iOs, etc…) which use Lua for game logic programming.The main reason it is a production proven and have a good documentation. Also i bought online course and a few printed books about Corona. I am a novice in game development so the smooth learning curve is more important for me now than experimenting with some cool but not very clear features )) Although in my plans is a 3D game, so i keep to explore 3D engines )) And Blender is my choice for modeling in any case))
P.S. Also i use INSTEAD engine for prototyping. It is an engine for text based games. But i am going to make a quest game, so it is useful for me to write and test a story (scenario) before going into the modeling and programming ))

4 Likes

Good luck buddy!
Have you tried unity 3D ?
I recommend it for beginners.
I started out with unity 5, then bge, then armory, then unity again and finally settling on unreal 4.

I like the vehicles in UPBGE, easy to setup, full physics body and wheels, stable car physics.

You must be very experienced making 3D games.

I feel like I’m now on the UPBGE forum. I need to make sure I’m on the right forum for Armory.

NAH !
Only one year and a half, so many switches! I use it as a hobbyist.
But yes, by now I do know the basics of game development.

You must choose what you feel is right for your project, in other words choose what is quicker and what is best suited and adapted for yr project.

Fred/K.S

I find it very funny to see that people have very pessimistic views about UPBGE when in fact UPBGE has the most Games compared to Armory!

Lets face it thats just the harsh reality guy’s UPBGE has so much Tutorials and content and is even becoming better its latest Build UPBGE 2.4 is the best you can get from Blender’s Game Engine!

(Now i love Armory and RESPECT Armory for what it is and how much more Powerful it is to the rest of the other engines, unfortunately Armory is still in its Early Days in its development and people are still experimenting with it)

for now UPBGE and BGE are way better for a noob to start making games immediately, Armory is for prototyping at this point since its still a very buggy engine!

Fred/K.S

Armory = So Much Power !!!

With so much power comes the consequences however i seee Armory 09 and 10 Kick-starting a whole bunch of New Beautifully created games never seen before!

but for now lets the devs and hobbyists experiment and learn for the time being, and stop comparing Armory to UPBGE because seriously guys Armory is not yet at UPBGE level as far as made games are concerned!

Fred/K.S

For commercial games Armory = yes, Upbge = no or avoid

Have a good read lol

http://forums.armory3d.org/t/it-is-legal-to-use-blender-to-sell-a-game/2437

http://forums.armory3d.org/t/armory-license-scan-and-the-ability-to-sell-armory-games/2472

i dont care abt licenses i know that UPBGE is basically for free games
but answer my question!

How many Games or should i say “Commercial Games” Does Armory have that beats UPBGE Games to date?

Once you answer that question i’ll give u credit and support yr opinion!

Fred/K.S

This thread discussion won’t bring you any new informations.
I don’t know what is your point or opinion about Armory or Upbge, and i’m not interested to know more.

As you said :

As much as I liked BGE, and respected the UPBGE people for bringing it forward, in my opinion Armory has the winning technology. And this technology is: Haxe.

The importance of this can’t be over-emphasized. Haxe is a cross-platform toolkit that targets many different environments successfully, whether or not the application in question has anything at all to do with gaming. It generates native source-code that is compiled by native compilers. (Plus, it generates better Flash object-code than Adobe ever did.) And, it actually, provably, works. I’ve been using it for years now – “write JavaScript myself? Surely you jest.”

BGE, on the other hand, is a game-engine “within Blender.” Good though it may be, it simply ceases to be a contender (IMHO …) when confronted with the superior technological foundation of Haxe and therefore Armory. It has been blindsided. (And, I cordially submit, so has Unity.)

2 Likes

Why does this look so amazing? I almost refuse to believe that it’s real-time graphics coming from the Blender Game Engine. Those soft shadows are insane… Is this level of visual fidelity possible with Armory? Are all those post-processing techniques already implemented?

1 Like

hmmm …

Make no mistake, if UPBGE dies it will not be a good thing for Armory.

Remember, the massive majority of startup gamedevs only know about Unity/Unreal. That’s the real competition. UPBGE helps get the attention of more of those people. It helps get them familiar and comfortable with the idea of building games with an open source engine inside of Blender. Those kind of people are far more likely to give Armory a try, than people who have only ever heard of Unity/Unreal.

It’s up to Armory, Godot, UPBGE and others to convince people that free, open source game engines can do what they need as easily as they’re used to. When that becomes a common idea, people will flock from Unity/Unreal in far greater numbers than we would ever gain by taking in UPBGE’s refugees.

1 Like

UPBGE with Blender license is one major issue most studios won’t use it (While Armory 3D is fine).

http://forums.armory3d.org/t/it-is-legal-to-use-blender-to-sell-a-game/2437

I hope UPBGE will find new developers interested, it’s a great 3D engine for hobbysts or non commercial usage.

One success is not determined by the other lol

It’s not that simple lol
It’s too much earlier to advice people to use Armory until it is 1.0.

Startup or studios work in production, this is very different as hobby , lonewolf game or experimental demonstrations.
They need something that is prooven with many games sold, something very stable , working on large hardware range , with less critical bugs as possible.

It’s also a bad thing for users working with stable 3D engine to try Armory in alpha, they will be disappointed, leave and forget about Armory 3D.

No, you can’t convince ALL people to migrate open source lol
They choose non free 3D engines for many possible reasons :

• jobs available for that 3D engine
  • paid support
  • additional services
  • training courses and certification
  • specific features
  • documentation and tutorials

Or other things can be a better feature.
Godot is free, but Game Maker 2 is lot more faster and Godot didn’t catch on performance.Many studios will prefer to spend some money.
7:23

While i agree Armory 3D or other free engine once stable and more feature complete will meet all requirement for lot of games made in other engines.

The most ready for production i tested are Godot and Xenko.
But Armory 3D can be the winner with full Blender integration, and a big base of Blender artists users once it will reach 1.0.
Make all your level design and code or logic nodes without leaving Blender is the best of the best workflow.

They will need some full game demo showcase or simple interactive ArchiViz showcase they can play and test; to understand Armory is more than some small technical demos and examples.

One important thing is perhaps Armory 3D to call for developers and delegating, like Godot, one main developer delegating more, leading and helping others to work on the 3D engine or features.

Well … enough talk for me lol
ArmorPaint must be the more important and bigger priority with Substance Adobe change.