Armory Tutorial Series

Hello all, I run the site GameFromScratch and have been featuring Armory quite a bit. Now that its freely available to all in an easy manner, I’ve started a tutorial series about Armory. Its’ going to be both text and video based. It’s actually the first tutorial series on a new site I’ve launched. Right now there are tutorials on:

• Introduction
  • Installation
  • Getting Started
  • Scripting Basics
  • Handling Input
  • Sound and Music

The homepage for the whole tutorial series is available here.

I also have a single video tutorial ready, a crash course in Blender for people wanting to learn Armory. Videos on all of the above subjects should be online soon.

I intend to cover all aspects of Armory game development, so if you have any specific topics you want to see covered, please let me know! Also any and all feedback appreciated!

Cheers,
Mike

14 Likes

More Scripting tutorials please! (good work Mike :smiley::+1:)

Sound and Music too please :loud_sound:

More coming soon! Sound and music is done already though. Anything more you want to see covered in that area? There’s not really a whole lot more to it. Videos should start coming online soon.

Hello Mike!

Please do these…

1)Pause/Resume
2)Save game and loading it back
3)Options and setings (AA, resolution and etc)
4)Android and IOS exports and publishing
5)Using admob and google play services, gamecenter
6)Using external library with kha or armory.

1 Like

Take your pick

• Working with other blend files in one Armory project
  • Building a basic game layout: From start menu, to load scene
  • Possible ways to save game settings
  • Setting up & troubleshooting kha.network in Armory (Tank Multiplayer)
  • Working with Materials and Shaders in Armory

I don’t know if it’s possible, maybe some basic artificial intelligence for NPC?
Either scripting or node.:grinning:

Awesome, thanks for all the suggestions, will certainly keep them in mind going forward. Keeping em coming if you don’t see your suggestion listed above. Obviously can’t promise that I will get everything, but I will certainly keep them in mind. Gotta nail the basics first of course… will keep the series going so long as it’s proving somewhat popular and that there’s topics to cover…

I do try to stay specific to Armory/Kha though, so implementation specific tutorials probably wont happen. So for example, I wouldn’t show an implementation of Admob or similar in Armory, if it’s not a supported feature of armory. But I would show how to integrate with a 3rd party library… hopefully that distinction makes sense?

1 Like

Awesome!. One quick question, why dont you take your time and publish it in Udemy and etc ? I would pay for a full and complete course (15+>hours). Or maybe you are waiting Armory to be production ready and stable first ?

In running GameFromScratch and now devgame I try to help as many people as possible, so I prefer not to lock away content behind a paywall if I can. Basically want to reach and help as many people as possible. I am offering a few perks though, like early access to in development tutorials to backers. If Armory proves popular, which I think it will, once it’s stable I may do a book on the subject.

3 Likes

Well ouch… this thread was hidden. This will make the series extremely short if it’s not possible to announce or discuss it…

It was auto-hidden by Discourse(due to links or something), I fixed it.

1 Like

Thanks Lubos, appreciated. Oh and if you happen to spot an error in my content, please do let me know. I try my best to be as accurate as possible, but errors happen.

1 Like

I’m no expert but I recall seeing some of the above listed on armory’s github

A couple of updates. The first two video tutorials are now online.

Also created a (rather small) Youtube playlist for the series which will grow over time.

I also updated the Scripting Basics text tutorial to include debug console and bundled traits.

Added a new video tutorial, Handling Input. Covers handling input (keyboard/mouse specifically) using both Nodes and Haxe, in both polled and event driven formats. Also covers sending events and a few other topics. The text version of this tutorial is here. Should have Sound and Music video tutorial up tomorrow, then hopefully new text tutorials up by weekends end or early next week.

3 Likes

thanks for the tuts, much appreciated! :smiley: At the moment I have so many questions that is hard to suggest some particular topics, I will just follow these for the moment! :slight_smile:

EDIT: actually, there’s something that is really bugging me. I can’t get actions to work correctly. there’s even an example file, but for some reason I can’t make it work in my file. I can play one action, but it won’t switch to others. Eventually the action just stop (randomly :smiley: ) and then starts again, but I never managed to play more than one action in my game. So, I’d love an episode about actions :slight_smile:

By actions do you just mean action nodes like the follow?

If so, you should simply just be able to use them. Keep in mind they need to be feed by some sort of event, like On Update used above, or Input driven events like On Keyboard. Otherwise it should just be a matter of connecting their In connector from an event. You can then chain multiple actions like shown above.

If I’m misunderstanding you, please let me know and I’ll see if I can go into more detail on it.

no I mean armature actions, so basically animating a character. There’s an example file called “animation_actions” that shows how to do it. it’s an extremely simple setup, but for some reason I can’t make it work properly. I can only play one action on my character.