Can a procedural planet for a game be created in Armory using Logic Nodes?

So I’m new to Armory and Logic Nodes, but I’m a Blender tinkerer for over 3 years. Everyone is screaming about Eevee, but I’m more interested in the Logic Nodes and Procedural Planet building for games.
I was soo close before Blender 86’d the BGE, but now I feel I may have to start all over.

I want to create a cute little planet builder game, but also to make it procedural.

So any help would greatly be appreciated :slight_smile:

It’s Better to begin with something simple in order to learn how to work with the engine. Armory is a great tool, but the engine is in a very early development stage so there can be bugs you’ll have to face. To be patient and keep learning, that is the right thing in my opinion. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Well, last time I checked there is no “generate procedural planet” node, but maybe the behavior can be recreated with smaller nodes in the current tool set, or newer tools could be created for the task.

How do you want the planet to be generated specifically?

@M_Ent8h may have attempted something a little to big for a small idea game, lol. I was looking to understand it more to build worlds for a builder game. But I’m actually seeing it as a huge end-ever.

@Musa Yes, after reviewing I feel you may be correct. I think I’m looking for more ways to use the Logic Nodes. A realistic planet with all the trimmings is a big project. Maybe I may just go simple with it. Thanks for the advice.

1 Like

Ok, altough I asked how do you wanted to generate the planets because I think the difficulty lies in how much does randomness play a factor in the generation, because otherwise the simplest way would be to create bunch of premade planets and then use rng to pick a random planet from the list.

But if you want something more complex like for example randomly scattering objects over the planet with some pattern or noise function that would be more complicated or maybe impossible to do with logic nodes AFAIK.

do you mean persistent procedural, or improvised procedural?
if the player comes back to the same area, will the same assets be in the same places?

@M_Ent8h I understand. I think I may have tried to bite off more than I could chew (so to speak), but the idea was to create a random template of planets that the player could build stuff on. A random scatter would be great because the woods, planes, mountains, and lakes could be generated. This way the player would have resources to collect.
With that being said. I do believe that a more complicated venture would not be worth it right now. But I’m still looking, lol.
Thanks for the input :slight_smile:

@longpinkytoes Yes and no, lol. If the player, say, cuts an area of trees… Those trees will not be there when the player comes back. but the house he/she built there would be. Any changes the player makes to the planet would be there when the player returned to that area.

Thanks for helping me clear that up :slight_smile:

i only asked because some games generate nearly the same terrain every time
but even if they used the same parameters and same seed every time,
the assets created would be new ones every time,
so burying something under a bush would be pointless
because even if there was a bush in the right place later
the bush would be new, and the buried treasure would be gone.

i don’t think one way is better than the other, a racing game could save a ton of memory
by only generating what you can see from the car, since you never get out of the car anyway.

an open world rpg would probably fill your hdd if you let it, with locations of various loot xD

@longpinkytoes Well said. Well If the player , say, walks away from the house around to the other side of the planet.
The player’s house, all items in the house would need to be saved so when the player returned to that area all the player’s items would still be there.

Being this is going to be a builder style game any items the player “farms” will have to be updated so the player couldn’t ‘refarm’ the same tree, lol.

I don’t want real world graphics and assets, lol. Just something fun to play. I love tinkering… so I figured I’d try to pick this up in Armory. I’m saddened to see Blender cut out the BGE, but on the same token I’m glad Armory picked up the fumble, lol.

your original question about implementing with logic nodes, is beyond my skill set
but things are slow-moving around here, and answers may eventually sprout from the ground :stuck_out_tongue:

in terms of how complicated the scripting would be, take a look at this:
https://mewo2.com/notes/terrain/ using https://github.com/mewo2/terrain
or other examples around the webs, to base your haxe scripts on,
and you might even find a planet generator that is open-source

Stranded:Deep sounds like an island version of what you want to do,
the maps that extend the base game are not procedural, the extra maps are player-made
there’s no npcs, and the harvest animations are all pretty janky, but it still seems fun xD
a game combining everything i said here, sounds like an island version of what you want…

@longpinkytoes Sounds about like what I’m trying to make… minus the Island part, lol. A planet to build on could be great fun. I will read into the 2 pages you provided. And maybe get a little more insight into scripting… that’s coding right, lol. Well again thank you for your input. It is greatly appreciated :stuck_out_tongue:

haven’t watched this yet, but thought of you right away…
1 Like

If you did it in Python in BGE, I think you’re going to have to do it in Haxe here. I doubt that logic nodes would give you the expressiveness that you need without becoming unmanageable – if it could be made to do it at all.

But remember that if you examine the Haxe source-code packages, the source code to the implementation of every logic node is right there.

1 Like

@longpinkytoes This can help in the modeling aspect, but as for the gaming aspect I don’t think it will be able to be used in Armory as a game map. I remember when when the BGE was part of Blender it was hard to get Modifiers and ray casts to work in the BGE itself. If I’m not mistaken the Procedural landscapes this video is for scenes. Photo realism and possibly still shots (maybe even animation). But for the gaming aspect I don’t think it would port over to the game engine.
I will give it a view though, because I may be wrong. Heck they say Eevee can be used in Armory, lol.
EDIT:
Actually I followed along with this video previously (Actually it began at the end when I clicked the link you posted, lol. Unfortunately it is for a still shot scene, but I did like the end look, lol.
Thanks for helping :slight_smile:

@MikeRobinson True. I believe I may have to swing into ttrying to wrap my old brain around Haxe. I was hoping to experiment with an old Idea and port it over to Armory, but It seems I find that yet another language has to be looked into.
Kind of wish there was a universal translator, lol. Too many languages and not enough communication in this world, lol.
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely give it a go.

that tutorial is geared to make a still scene, but the use of nodes
to mask the landscape into layers onto which to place different terrain types,
especially the method to only place vegetation on non-cliff areas…
seems like a very efficient strategy to generate islands/planets from noise.
:wink:
(all of this even more relevant with the advent of engines that use stock blender nodes)