Latest build based on the official Blender 2.8?

The latest version is dated Feb 18, 2019 (Win 64). Is there a newer binary version based on the official Blender 2.8?

If you mean if there is any newer blender+armory combo with a newer version of Blender officially I think there isn’t AFAIK. Although you can still manually “update” the combo yourself by getting a newer version of Blender, “reinstalling” the armory addon and relocating the sdk/change the path, since the addon is updated all the time to be on par with the latest Blender changes.

1 Like

@M_Ent8h Thanks for the reply. Yes, I mean a newer blender + armory combo with the official Blender 2.8

I’ll try your suggestion. It sounds complicated. I (and many others) would appreciate if there are more details.

Now that Blender 2.8 become official, I think a better approach is to forget Armory3d+Blender combo. It will help everyone if Armory3D is a stand-alone Blender add-on and be uninstallable from Blender add-on menu.

1 Like

Yeah that would be ideal, although I favor the convenience of the combo since it completely removes the extra work to get Armory working initially, something that a casual user that just wants to test Armory might not want to experience.

Ok np, the steps in more details are:
First you need a copy of the addon file, to get a copy you can:

1. Access https://raw.githubusercontent.com/armory3d/armsdk/master/armory.py.
  2. Hit Ctrl+S or File/Save in your browser and save as “armory.py”.
  3. Save the file “armory.py” to somewhere easier to access (like dekstop).

After that simply is just installing Armory as a Blender addon:

1. Open updated Blender.
  2. go to Edit/Preferences to open Blender Preferences, select “Add-ons”.
  3. Click on install, find the “armory.py” file copied from earlier.
  4. Enable the Armory add-on by ticking the box.

Now you need to set the path for the Armory SDK:

You can move the “armsdk” folder (the one that contains the folders: armory, iron, Kha, Krom, etc) you had from the older combo to anywhere else, maybe inside the folder of the updated Blender.
Then:

1. in “SDK Path” find and select that armsdk folder.
  2. Save Blender Preferences (hamburger icon in the bottom left of the Blender Preferences window).

If any step needs clarification don’t hesitate to ask…

Update: Updated instructions to explain how to get the latest version of armory.py in the process.

1 Like

@M_Ent8h Thabnks again. Your instruction is very clear.
For some reasons, I can’t get Armory3d working with the latest official Blender (ver 2.80)

My armory.py was on the desktop.
The “armsdk” folder is inside “C:\My\MyArmory3d\Armory_06_win64”.

I start with the default scene, and change it to Cycle. The ‘Build’ button is disabled. I click ‘Play’ button, the following message appears. It produces the same message when I use my previous Armory3d files and the example "first person’ from the template. Can you please help. Thanks for your time.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\My\MyArmory3d\Armory_06_win64\armsdk//armory/blender\arm\props_ui.py", line 501, in execute
  File "C:\My\MyArmory3d\Armory_06_win64\armsdk//armory/blender\arm\make.py", line 468, in play
  File "C:\My\MyArmory3d\Armory_06_win64\armsdk//armory/blender\arm\make.py", line 352, in build
  File "C:\My\MyArmory3d\Armory_06_win64\armsdk//armory/blender\arm\make.py", line 94, in export_data
  File "C:\My\MyArmory3d\Armory_06_win64\armsdk//armory/blender\arm\make_world.py", line 17, in build
  File "C:\My\MyArmory3d\Armory_06_win64\armsdk//armory/blender\arm\make_world.py", line 50, in build_node_tree
AttributeError: 'CyclesRenderSettings' object has no attribute 'film_transparent'

Ok, first things first, do you have the latest version of Armory SDK? Maybe outdated sdk is causing the issue.

If not or not sure, you can update it by clicking “Update SDK” in the Armory add-on page in Blender Preferences.

The progress of the update is shown in the console, so to make sure it updated correctly you can open the console of Blender by clicking “Window/Toggle System Console”

1 Like

I tried again, I move the ‘armory’ folder inside the scripts/addons.
When I click the Update SDK, the error message is

Armory (add-on v(0, 6, 0)): Cloning [armory, iron, haxebullet, haxerecast, zui] repositories
  File "C:\Users\Abc\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\armory.py", line 245, in execute
    git_clone(done, sdk_path, 'armory3d/armory', 'armory')
  File "C:\Users\Abc\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\armory.py", line 181, in git_clone
    run_proc(['git', 'clone', 'https://github.com/' + gitn, p + '/' + n, '--depth', '1'], done)
  File "C:\Users\Abc\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\armory.py", line 169, in run_proc
    p = subprocess.Popen(cmd)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\python\lib\subprocess.py", line 756, in __init__
    restore_signals, start_new_session)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\python\lib\subprocess.py", line 1155, in _execute_child
    startupinfo)
FileNotFoundError: [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified

Thanks for the help so far.

what would the “armory folder” be? do you mean the “armsdk” folder by “armory folder”?

There is no need to move that folder to script/addons, I would recommend placing it next Blender or inside the Blender folder like it was before to avoid complications but if you want to leave it there it should work too I guess.

You need to make sure that wherever the folder “armsdk” is, “SDK Path” should point to it, like in this picture

the armsdk folder should have this structure inside:

1 Like

Here is the folder structure:

armory3d-2019aug03

Seeing back the error message “The system cannot find the file specified”, do you have git installed?

1 Like

i saw the message, but couldn’t figure out which particular file is not found
yes, i have git on my PC
i can try do something with the git, any suggestion?

Ok, looking at the repo I didn’t notice that armory.py is available in the armsdk repo, so I recommend getting an updated copy first and replace the old one,

and then if that doesn’t solve the issue, you can run the command: git clone --recursive https://github.com/armory3d/armsdk path/to/where/you/want/armsdk, manually and then copy the win32 folder from the original to the new one and set that one as the armsdk folder to see if maybe that works…

1 Like

I use the new armory.py as suggested, the error message is

File "C:\Users\Abc\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\armory.py", line 291, in on_load_post
    bpy.ops.arm_addon.start()
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py", line 201, in __call__
    ret = op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)
RuntimeError: Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Abc\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\armory.py", line 201, in execute
    import start
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'start'

location: C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py:201

I tried to clone the SDK, I got the following error message:

fake_module: addon missing 'bl_info' gives bad performance!: 'C:\\Users\\Abc\\AppData\\Roaming\\Blender Foundation\\Blender\\2.80\\scripts\\addons\\update.py'
Armory (add-on v(2019, 7, 0)): Cloning [armory, iron, haxebullet, haxerecast, zui] repositories
  File "C:\Users\Abc\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\armory.py", line 242, in execute
    git_clone(done, sdk_path, 'armory3d/armory', 'armory')
  File "C:\Users\Abc\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\armory.py", line 178, in git_clone
    run_proc(['git', 'clone', 'https://github.com/' + gitn, p + '/' + n, '--depth', '1'], done)
  File "C:\Users\Abc\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\armory.py", line 166, in run_proc
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\python\lib\subprocess.py", line 756, in __init__
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\python\lib\subprocess.py", line 1155, in _execute_child
    startupinfo)

How did you “use” the new armory.py? Did you replace the content of the file from “C:\Users\Abc\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\armory.py” to the newer one? Or did you delete the addon and then reinstalled it? Also did you try restarting Blender? Sometimes the cache can cause those issues with addons.

By cloning I meant to run the command “git clone --recursive GitHub - armory3d/armsdk: Single-clone Armory SDK path/to/where/you/want/armsdk” in a command line to see if calling git directly in a command line works.

1 Like

I tried restart Blender several times. The git update seems working (and recursively), I noticed the following error occurs again and again when I update the SDK.

PermissionError: [WinError 5] Access is denied: 'C:\\Users\\Abc\\AppData\\Roaming\\Blender Foundation\\Blender\\2.80\\scripts\\addons\\armsdk//Kha\\Tools\\haxe\\haxe.exe'

This occurs when you try to click “Update SDK”, right?
Maybe opening Blender with administrator rights if it’s a permission error?

Ok if that doesn’t work but manually cloning is working it seems is not a problem with git. You can use that clone for the moment instead of utilizing the builtin updater:

1 Like

I rebooted my PC and run Blender as administrator to update Armory SDK, the permission error is gone. Then I copy the win32 from original armory-sdk into the armoy-sdk addon folder, and restart Blender (as and not as administrator) and save the default scene, change to Cycle, and click Play button, the following error occur. Same error if I delete win32 from addons folder. Really want to know which particular file is not found as indicated at the bottom of the error message.
BTW, thanks for helping me troubleshooting.

Read prefs: C:\Users\Abc\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\config\userpref.blend
found bundled python: C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\python
Armory: Proxy objects synchronized
Info: Total files 1 | Changed 1 | Failed 0

Armory v2019.8 ($Id: da4624b7d0666967240c2fef7e9811559438af11 $)
OS: win, Target: krom, GAPI: direct3d11, Blender: 2.80 (sub 75)
Exporting Scene
Exporting mesh Cube
Scene exported in 0.008974075317382812
Exported modules: ['audio']
Shader flags: ['_Irr', '_EnvCol', '_Deferred', '_ShadowMap', '_CSM', '_SinglePoint', '_SMAA', '_SSAO']
Running:  ['C:\\Users\\Abc\\AppData\\Roaming\\Blender Foundation\\Blender\\2.80\\scripts\\addons\\armsdk//nodejs/node.exe', 'C:\\Users\\Abc\\AppData\\Roaming\\Blender Foundation\\Blender\\2.80\\scripts\\addons\\armsdk//Kha/make', 'krom', '-g', 'direct3d11', '--shaderversion', '330', '--parallelAssetConversion', '4', '--to', 'build_b28-1/debug', '--nohaxe', '--noproject']
Using project from C:\My\MyArmory3d\AbcLearnArmory3d\Blender28-1
  File "C:\Users\Abc\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\armsdk//armory/blender\arm\props_ui.py", line 523, in execute
    make.play()
  File "C:\Users\Abc\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\armsdk//armory/blender\arm\make.py", line 493, in play
    compile(assets_only=(not wrd.arm_recompile))
  File "C:\Users\Abc\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\armsdk//armory/blender\arm\make.py", line 284, in compile
    state.proc_build = run_proc(cmd, assets_done if compilation_server else build_done)
  File "C:\Users\Abc\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\armsdk//armory/blender\arm\make.py", line 33, in run_proc
    startupinfo)

Yeah Windows is not being really helpful with that error message :roll_eyes:

hmm, maybe loading factory settings in Blender? that option is in File / Defaults. That option will deactivate the Armory addon, so you have to manually enable it again.

In the meantime, I will try to reproduce the issue in a Windows 10 fresh Virtual Machine I have.

Update: Can’t open Blender without graphic drivers and those are not supported in VirtualBox…

1 Like

Thanks for helping. I will keep trying different things when I come up with random ideas.

Ok I ran Windows 7 that I had installed in another disk and did some tests.

Git was not installed so similar errors were thrown (maybe the same but I can’t recall), I installed git with the default settings and after restarting Blender updating the SDK worked again.

Now the same error was thrown when trying to run Play like in your last post, so I fought quite a bit with python to update the armory addon file. I tested it in Windows 7 and seems to be working.
What I did is add error handling to catch common issues like missing git and a few other things. Also it’s now possible to “install” armory sdk directly from the addon file (whereas before if you try to update to an empty folder, it would fail), you can select an empty directory (non existing directory works too) and hit install and that will clone the repos needed.
The only thing missing is the “win32”,“linux64”, and “KodeStudio.app” folders that hold a build of Kode Studio for each OS, you need to manually copy the folder win32 from the older armsdk folder to have Kode Studio again.
There may still be a few rough edges, but hopefully it’s working.

1 Like