Making a 2.5D game

I am going to start my first game but I am having some trouble.

• One of them is that for a 2.5D game, should the character move along the y-axis or the x-axis?
  • Which language would give me better runtime performance, Rust or Haxe?
  • Lets say I create a plane right in the middle as well as a cube as shown. If I want the plane to be the terrain, then should the cube (which is 2 m tall) be exactly 1 m higher on the z-axis, because I noticed that there is a z-fighting issues when you look at the bottom of the plane

• I want to build for Windows, do I use krom for the runtime?
  1. Should not matter, you can move the character in x, y axis, neither give advantage over each other
  2. It should not matter again, because the performance depends on target, and Krom or C++ doesn’t have much performance difference.
  3. Not an issue after all you are not going to look below (?).
  4. You can use any from given option, since Armory is ultimate cross-platform, though I recommend to use HTML5 or Krom for runtime since C++ take more time to compile.
1 Like

All I am getting is Krom or Browser, is that ok? I thought I was supposed to be getting more options such as C++?

“browser” is HTML5. I’d recommend using krom though.

The C++ target isn’t meant for development because it takes longer to build. To export to C you can use the Armory exporter:

When you click publish it should create a project for the native compiler for the platform. So for windows I think it creates a Visual Studio project that you can open and build with Visual Studio.

But can I code in Rust without build times taking too long?

As long as Rust doesn’t take a long time to compile to WASM. Rust is a pretty fast compiler right?

Well I have learn’t the basics and it seems ok the speeds when compiling into a binary application. But I don’t think it is fast since it is a compiled language, not an interpreted language.

The Haxe still has to compile, too, even when using the Krom target because the Haxe compiles to JavaScript, it is just very fast. Rust may or may not be slower, I don’t know.

2 Likes

Haxe is an interpreted language, not compiled language right? If this is the case then off course it will compile faster than Rust as Rust is a compiled language.

Haxe is a compiled language. It compiles just like any other language, but instead of producing native code it more often compiles to other languages’ source code like Javascript and C/C++.

2 Likes