Transparency Tests

… Sprite sheet need to be in .png to have the transparency in armory viewport …

This can’t be true since the smoke example uses a jpg without any alpha channel at all.

But haven’t found out why it behaves like it has transparency. Might have something to do with the “Blending” option in the material tab.

Maybe black color is recognize as alpha in armory, or blending mode as you say… don’t really understand how armory handle this yet. But i’m not sure armory can store emissive with transparency to make particle fire effect. I need to investigate more. I will share any progress on this.

Found something interesting in the manual:

Blending
To enable additive blending for specific material, set Armory Render Path - Blending to On and check the Blending property in Material - Armory Props.

So yes it is additive blending which gets rid of darker sections of the texture without the use of an alpha channel and it has to be switched on in the render settings of armory as well as the material.

Not sure about the emissive but I would stay away from the armory shader group. The emissive is having some kind of bug since it should use the base color to determine the color of the emission. But the moment I turn on emission the object just turns white.

@manfredp thank you for the reply,
unfortunately i want it for web use where the tga format is not supported
and PNG discards all the color information on pixels that have opacity==0.

Anyway, hope someone fixes translucency because it would be such a great feature.

@nassosyian In this case I would just use an rgb image for the color and another grayscale image for the opacity. Having both in the same file is nice but not a necessity. And you could also go with jpg which would make both combined still smaller than a single png.

I don’t think there is anything to fix really since I encountered the same issue in unity and unreal as well.
And the artefacts that happen with png and the discard option are to be expected. As I understand it the discard option reduces the opacity down to 2 possible states → fully opaque or fully transparent. And since the transparent parts in a png are handled as black you get unwanted outlines.

just because you have encountered it, as you say, in other packages does not mean it is ok.
there is no point having a feature if it doesn’t work.

It would be better if the edge-cases, when it stops working,
would be documented, just so we can avoid user-confusion.