What should I base my cross-platform game on, instead of Armory?

When Armory first came onto the scene, I was very excited about it – a cross-platform game engine rooted in Blender and implemented in Haxe.

But now I see that it continues to be the autocratic product of “just one developer,” who seems to be going in his own direction. The project never opened-up to other contributors. I’m no longer confident that the next drift won’t simply leave me “high and dry.”

Therefore … what 3D game platforms would you recommend, besides Armory? And why?

I think that question like that is too broad to really provide a specific answer… What are you looking in your “3D game platforms” besides 3D and cross-platform? What is your team size? License of your project? Budget? What kind of project/game are you trying to create? Can it be propietary software or it has to be strictly open source? etc.

I’d say try with https://alternativeto.net/software/unity/

Godot engine. https://godotengine.org/

Armory creates a small size and fast loading and running 3D HTML5 for browsers, has Visual Script and is free (I did not find another game engine like this)
Unfortunately, to have full compatibility with browsers on (Android and IOS) you need to enable Legacy Shaders and:

• use only simple mobile materials (only difuse texture and Bump and simple transparency (must be included in Armory Render See -> Mobile Presets -> Depth Prepass)
  • one Point light source
  • pixelose (but you can set Texture Filtering: Anisotropic and MSAA to 4 (does not work under IOS) or Post Process -> Super Sampling: 2.
  • particles don’t work
  • you can easily program your own Nodes
  • CallGroup Node only works in Armory 0.5 because it allows you to reduce the clutter in Node Editor.

The best for non-programmers and 3D is Unity + paid additions: easy Playmaker (or more difficult but less limited Bolt (Macro, StateMachines, creating and previewing in real time)

Visual Script in Godot for me is unintuitive, not very polished, not enough tutorials, supports mobile browsers but also Webgl takes a lot and open on browsers long time.

Gdevelop only 2D, easy, free, fast but I noticed a problem with smoothness of movement, jerking in Ubuntu, better on Windows.

I also recommend Linux because Armory compiles 2x faster than on Windows

3 Likes

I wrote stuff (games, VR apps) with Torque, Construct2, Unity, Godot and finally Armory.
I had very creative results in HTML with Armory, more promising than the bloated Unity. Godot 3D scene from blender is a nightmare (maybe it changed recently), even with gltf export, you might end up redoing shaders in Godot.
GDevelop is like Construct2, maybe the GSOC will help make it better. Torque is … well torqued.
I see a major shift from HTML to WebGL (three, babylon) to something else with PWA getting momentum soon. React, Vue, Xamarin are more and more visual, but game engines seems to focus on desktop and consoles while they could grab the gamified apps market too.
$$$Verge3D is also competitor to Armory, just for this case, I think Armory should be forked&PR as much as possible.
We can’t blame Lubos to willing to live through Armor Paint (congrats for the grant!).
I agree Armory is the poor child and deserves more developers. That’s on us too.
I don’t know haxe so it’s painful for me, maybe some haxe developers should be aware of the need?
@Naxela is an architect and develops+shares very nice stuff for Armory. If we have more tutorial to help develop for Armory, maybe it would help PR more stuff and make it sustainable? :wink:

2 Likes

@MikeRobinson
I’m not entirely sure what you’d like to see from Armory, perhaps a bit more activity development wise, but I don’t really see the autocracy of the project. While Lubos might have been focusing most of his attention on Armorpaint, it’s not because there haven’t been any contributions from other people, such as MoritzBrueckner, N8n5h and others.

I just made a PR to merge Postprocessing Module into Armory, Lightmapping is probably not that far off either from being within reach. Both of them have code inspired from Armorpaint.

In any case to stay on the topic, if Armory3D wasn’t there, I think I’d go with Xenko - It’s open source and cross-platform, and it seems promising, although the community seems as quiet as here.

@j2l - I guess for many newcomers the Haxe language is the one of the biggest showstoppers, and the lack of documentation for both Armory nodes, Armory Haxe API and the Haxe language itself can be rather frustrating. I wish I was better at writing tutorials

2 Likes

@Naxela, thank you again for you work. It’s precious.
This discourse forum doesn’t have PM, so here’s my message:
If you’d like some help to make a tutorial, I’ll be glad to help you. I made a few about Blender (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVVU_3ioB4fEQ7Xnf_t-e0g) and I’m also in Europe.

1 Like

I can also recommend Xenko (soon to be renamed to Stride). It’s code base is very high quality and it’s fully based on C# and runs on the official .NET runtime. So you benefit from all recent developments in .NET core.

I’ve digged a little bit into their shader language, and it’s the most powerful and succinct I’ve ever seen. If anyone is into shaders, they should really check it out…

It can compile games for windows, macOS, Linux, mobile and some consoles.

Their community is mostly on discord.