Working with actions and Trigger Volumes

Ok guys, I have been working on this issue for almost a week. All I want to do is open a door when you get close and close it when you go away. My general idea is to set up a trigger volume around the door. Use enter and leave to drive the animation(actions) of the door. I am having a hell of a time getting the actions to save right and when they do they seem to play repeatedly instead of just once. I guess you could use the pause action function but don’t know how you would use that to pause only while in the trigger volume.

What would your approach to this be and has anyone else had issues with the action editor (both 2.79 and 2.8) or is there a really good tutorial out there on it. I have watch several and tried to follow what they do. It doesn’t seem you can edit actions at all.

What am I missing?
Thanks
Monte

1 Like

door.blend (563.2 KB)

Here it is. The closing and opening animations are two separate actions, triggered by entering and leaving the volume. I had to make an animation which does nothing be on the door from the beginning inside of Blender since otherwise it seems like the close animation won’t work for some reason. This nothing animation is being paused immediately, not sure if that is necessary but I thought it might interfere with the other actions.

3 Likes

Thank you so much - I will try it out tonight when I get home from work. Couple questions, what does the blend do in the play action node? Did you find any issues with the action editor? Did you just stash the actions or do something else to save them?

No Problem! I don’t know what blend is doing atm, the action editor worked fine for me and I saved the actions by giving them a Fake User.

I’ve got a similar problem. I want to the door to be opened for many characters. How to check ‘volume trigger’ without using name? I want to use a property, for example.

Hi, may be it would great to gather different nodes as ressources if you want to share them somewhere in the forum or in discord …

@Monte_Drebenstedt maybe you could test too using a simple Get Distance node from door to moving actor and then a gate/threshold and make a test only when your object move/not too far would be less CPU demanding and more reliable?