Designing an Armory Community Survey - Now Live!

Update: Survey is now live here: Armory Community Survey.

Hello everybody! I thought it would be useful to create an Armory community survey so that we could get an idea of what people use Armory for, what people need the most, etc., and I wanted to open a discussion to decide what kind of questions that we want in the survey. @lubos you might be interested in what goes into the survey being that you are the main developer. :slight_smile:

Once we get the list of questions that we want in the survey, I’ll create an anonymous survey and publicize the results for the community.

Comment if you have any ideas for helpful questions.

Survey Questions

I’ll update this list as we come up with questions. I’m open for discussions on anything in this list. Each heading represents a question group.

Introduction

• How did you find Armory3D? – Text area
  • What other engines do you use or have you used? – Multi-select: with other text area
  • How long have you been using Armory?
  • What version of Armory do you use? – Multi-select: with other text area
  • What operating system do you use primarily? – Radio button
  • What platform(s) do you want to target with Armory? – Multi-select

Using Armory

• How would you rate Armory3D’s user experience ( not counting bugs and errors )? – Star rating
  • How would you rate Armory’s learning curve? – Sad/happy face slider
  • What kind of improvements could make Armory easier to use? – Text area
  • What do you use or plan on using Armory for? – Mult-select: with other text area
  • What do you program Armory with? – Checkboxes: Haxe, Logic Nodes
  • What have you made with Armory ( if anything )? – Text area

Future Development

• What is your favorite thing about Armory? – Text area
  • What is the biggest obstacle(s) that keeps you from getting the most out of Armory? – Text area
  • What new features would you most want to see in Armory? – Text Area
  • What areas in Armory do you feel needs the most work? – Text Area
5 Likes
  • Which engine they previously used (Maybe can accept multiple answers?)
  • How did they find Armory3D (Textbox?)
  • Which area people would like to see more development in (Maybe can accept multiple answers?)
  • Which primary OS they use
  • Which platform do people mainly target

(Will edit this if I find more)

1 Like

I like @BlackGoku36’s list. I would just like to split which area we’d like to see more development in, into what new features we’d most like to see, and which current areas we’d like to see improved and made more stable.

It could also be useful to ask what skills people would enjoy using to contribute to Armory.

2 Likes

I update the topic with a question list. Might need to refine it a little bit, tell me if you have any thoughts.

• What kind of app are you making (game, Archi Viz, Simulation, others)
  • What kind of game are you making (fps like Crysis, tps like Splinter Cell, others)
  • What is your game scope (small,indoor, big scenes, open world, mmo)
  • Do you work as lonewolf or as a team
  • It is hobby only or more commercial (publish and sell)
  • What resolution and frame rate do you target (1080p, 4K, 30fps, 60 fps)
  • What feature do you find the most missing you would need
  • What tutorial is missing and you would need in priority

Here are the questions that I’ve added to the survey ( sorry for the bad formatting ). If that looks good to everybody, I’ll start the survey tomorrow.

446	1	howDidFind	How did you find Armory3D?	Long free text	Introduction			
	471	1	uxRating	How would you rate Armory3D’s user experience ( not counting bugs and errors )?	5 point choice	Using Armory			
	493	1	favoriteThings	What are your favorite things about Armory?	Long free text	Furthur Development			
	494	2	biggestObstacles	What is the biggest obstacle(s) that keeps you from getting the most out of Armory?	Long free text	Furthur Development			
	447	2	otherEngines	What other engines do you use or have you used?	Multiple choice	Introduction			
	472	2	learningCurve	How would you rate Armory’s learning curve?	5 point choice	Using Armory			
	473	3	uxImprovements	What kind of improvements could make Armory nicer or easier to use?	Long free text	Using Armory			
	448	3	howLongUsing	How long have you been using Armory?	List (radio)	Introduction			
	495	3	newFeatures	What new features would you most want to see in Armory?	Long free text	Furthur Development			
	485	4	dimensions	What kind of games do you want to make?	Multiple choice	Using Armory			
	490	4	withTeam	Do you work alone or with a team?	List (radio)	Introduction			
	496	4	documentationNeeds	What tutorial or documentation do you need most?	Long free text	Furthur Development			
	491	5	teamSize	How many people are in your team?	List (radio)	Introduction			
	474	5	gamepayType	What kind of gameplay do you use or plan on using Armory for?	Multiple choice with comments	Using Armory			
	492	6	comercial	Do you plan on using Armory commercially?	Yes/No	Introduction			
	475	6	programWith	What do you program Armory games with?	Multiple choice	Using Armory			
	478	7	madeWithArmory	What have you made with Armory ( if anything )?	Long free text	Using Armory			
	454	7	armoryVersion	What version of Armory do you use?	Multiple choice	Introduction			
	460	8	operatingSystem	What operating system do you use primarily?	List (radio)	Introduction			
	461	9	targetPlatform	What platform(s) do you want to target with Armory?	Multiple choice	Introduction

None of those questions really cover which parts of the codebase people would most like to see made more stable and bug free.

Armory will be more stable and more bug free with 1.0 and later releases. (Armory is alpha, so it’s perhaps too early to ask Lubos priorities).

Sure, I don’t expect an alpha to be stable. We’re asking about future features and UI improvements. Fixes will be as important as either to completing games. It makes sense to know which would benefit the community the most.

This isn’t about demanding that Lubos fixes any one thing now. Lubos has been fixing bugs though. This is about helping him and other devs to know where their efforts can bring the most benefit to the most users.

I would suggest that this question specifically asks people to just nominate an area of Armory though (ie rendering, performance, armatures, particles etc) and not specific pet GitHub issues.

2 Likes

I was initially thinking that that would go in the “What is the biggest obstacle for you?” question, but I think you have a good point. I’ll add that in. :+1:

1 Like

You think that should be a single choice with comment question? I wansn’t sure if doing multiple choice was a good idea because then you could easily just click all of them.

I would have it as a text entry with a note to enter general areas of armory and not specific issues. If we go with single/multiple choice, then there’s a strong chance that we may miss completely an area we hadn’t thought to define.

For example, I wouldn’t generally have thought of “rotations” as a section of a game engine, however I do see a lot of people running into - and filing- different issues around how Armory currently files rotations. The same is true for armature actions. Who knows what other areas multiple people are currently suffering through in silence?

How’s this:

This way, if it fits into an existing category, it is easier to view statistical survey results, but if you have your own section, then you just select other. You can specify a comment, for any category you select.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d say that works.

1 Like

i’d prefer check boxes rather than radio buttons, sometimes it’s not just one thing…

1 Like

I don’t see any real problem with checkboxes. I mean if anyone does choose to tick every single box, it doesn’t actually influence which area(s) come first / second / third etc, anyway. And it does allow for more accuracy where there’s a bunch of people who do care about a couple of areas equally.

2 Likes

Sounds good. Updated it:

You can select multiples, specify your own category, and comment on any of the selected categories.

The documentation needs, new features, and biggest obstacles questions are the same setup with the same options.

3 Likes

News on this? It seems like it was so close to being ready to go…

I’ll get to it hopefully soon, I just got really busy right before I got to finishing it up.

1 Like

It’s all good. Just a friendly reminder… :grin:

2 Likes