Armory,Blender, Game Reaches 500

500! Nice job! i guess you can change the title of this post now!

LOL didn’t even realize I could do that. DONE!!!

1 Like

Congrats on 500! That’s a great feat. Have you thought about doing a 3d platformer type thing, or maybe 2.5d where the character only goes left and right and the camera follows along. Could show how to implement the animation actions using nodes and such too. It would be a great series I think. If Armory is able to do that yet. I have only looked at it a little, but it seems like a nice engine.

It also seems it might take a while to reach maturity cause the developer spreads himself too thin with multiple projects. But maybe there are more people working on the engine?

3 Likes

Because Armor paint is the most supported money side.
Armory will need some good showcase to show it can do good games like Unity or Unreal 4, then it should get more support.

To make 2.5 games Armory needs axis lock like Godot 3

Oh okay I see. I didn’t know Armory Paint was so popular and purchased so much to fund its development. I can see why now. If Armory is free, it only makes sense to develop the one that costs money since it funds the developer.

That would be a great feature. I guess you could fake it by putting a mesh barrier to block the character from moving forward or backward on the Z axis, or Y axis I guess it is in 3D for Blender, and then just hide the mesh so that it’s not seen and just let the collider do the work. /shrug

It won’t work well, you’ll have friction and angular velocity issues.
The very best is axis lock like Godot 3 or or Unity.

Ah gotcha. I guess there’s no physics material to prevent friction against a collider then huh?

You can change friction, well … try it.

Haha I’m guessing it doesn’t produce the best results. I’ll wait a bit for development to get better. In the meantime, I’ll just tinker with it here and there. I’m pretty much into Unity and was just checking out this engine to see what it was about.

For axis locking in physics, there is an angular factor setting that you can just set to zero to lock that axis. Is that what you are wanting? It is the Arm Physics ( I think that is what it is called ) panel at the bottom of the physics tab in Blender. I use it to keep my character from falling over ( not sure if I am misunderstanding the problem ).

1 Like

I will put that in the list. I have about 4 projects I am currently trying to get ready for videos. But that may be something that would work. Thanks for the support.

1 Like

I really like your video tutorials in the forums, you are only

Properties > Armory Properties > Linear Factor: 0

(bottom-right corner)

In this way you can lock the z axis (or the Y axis, or the X axis, or any combo, and you can also lock rotation on any axis changing the angular velocity to zero, too…)

By the way, @Monte_Drebenstedt - I’d love to see a video that basically walks you through taking a rigged character in v0.6 and then adding character action animations and playing them back using Armory. For example, show how to make a rigged character play a jump animation when pressing space.

https://github.com/armory3d/armory/issues/1088

2 Likes

Congratulations, I’ve watched a bunch of your videos.

And also thank you guys for your info in regards of making 2.5D games, I was just going to research about this, I guess I’ll have to wait a little bit more.

3 Likes

@MagicLord - If it’s not working, then it’s a bug. The feature is there, and for what I’ve used it for so far, it’s been working for me.

3 Likes

Depends on usage and use case.
If works for you, good, have fun lol

You’ve filed the bug, which is helpful. Lubos has tagged it as a bug, so it’s known to the devs. At this point it comes down to that you want your bug fixed, rather than that the project is missing the feature.

As with any bug in a FOSS project, your options are to either:

• Fix it yourself
  • Look for someone else who might be able to help
  • Help fund getting it fixed (BountySource / Armory Development Fund - goal 2, yo)
  • Add more useful information to the bug to make it easier / appealing for the developers to fix

…or good ol’ fashioned be patient and accept that the people who are doing the work set the priorities of what gets worked on first.

You are wrong and doing your own interpretation of things.

• I’m not making an interactive game in Armory
  • I don’t need the bug to be fixed
  • I have been kind to report it for others who might get that bug

That’s all, have a good day.

Thanks for reporting it. That’s helpful. :slight_smile: I’d suggest that if you want to talk about your bug further, that you start a new thread (or do it on the bug itself) so we don’t both derail a constructive topic celebrating @Monte_Drebenstedt’s accomplishments with helping promote and teach about Armory, making it better for us all. Cheers.

2 Likes